ENGELS & DIAMAT

ROSSERJB at VAX1.ACS.JMU.EDU ROSSERJB at VAX1.ACS.JMU.EDU
Mon Nov 27 10:25:03 MST 1995

To Ralph Dumain:
     I find your comments quite reasonable.  Despite
my poking at Engels, he did some good work independent
of Marx.  Although a problematic work, as shown by the
thoughtful discussions on this net (too bad Lisa R. has
flown the coop, if she has), _Origins of the Family, Private
Property, and the State_ is an important and largely original
work.
     I also agree that Engels was actually ahead of Marx
on recognizing the important role of the industrial proletariat.
I have also been probably too harsh in apparently ascribing
any direct causal connection between _Dialectics of Nature_
and Lysenkoism.  It can be used to justify the latter, but
the more direct line comes out of Lenin as developed further
by Stalin (or whoever was his ghost writer).
Barkley Rosser, a certain snotty professor from over on pen-l