report: Pack on Gilder

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Mon Nov 27 20:43:56 MST 1995

Very interesting, Lisa and thank you for the report.  I was amazed to see
the turn to religion being advocated like this but the turn to the
irrational is always possible in a system built round an irrational
device like the market.

I was curious about the parallels with something like Matthew Arnold's
recommendation that religion should turn to poetry because science had
disproved the factual basis of the bible.

Similarly I heard in 1990 the rightist british philosopher Roger Scruton
being
asked what we should do now that communism had collapsed and capitalism
had won.  Scruton's answer was that we should turn to the aesthetic.

Which brings us of course to the contemporary aestheticisation of
politics which the Nazis perfected at their Nurembourg rallies.

regards

Gary