Trade Union Bureaucracy

Steve Wallis S.Wallis at mmu.ac.uk
Tue Nov 28 03:59:09 MST 1995

Adam Rose <adam at pmel.com> writes:

> But whether a union has right of left leadership isn't the crucial issue.
> eg in 1972 and 1974 the miners won with a right wing leadership, and in 1985
> they lost with a left wing leadership.
>
> The difference in the 2 strikes was the confidence of the rank + file,
> both inside + outide the mining industry.

This is a rather one-sided and undialectical approach, IMO.  I don't disagree
that a confident rank + file is vital, but if union leaderships keep selling
out then it leads to a decrease in confidence (in general).

And surely you don't think that "confidence of the rank + file" is the only
reason why strikes succeed or fail.  Isn't strategy also important?

Steve.

               ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
       ++++ if you agree copy these 3 sentences in your own sig ++++
     ++++ more info: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm ++++

   /----------+ Centre for Policy Modelling,         Email: S.Wallis at mmu.ac.uk
   \/\  Steve | Manchester Metropolitan University,    Tel: (+44) 161 247 3884
\    / Wallis | Aytoun Building, Aytoun St.,           Fax: (+44) 161 247 6802
 \/\/---------+ Manchester M1 3GH, UK.        http://www.fmb.mmu.ac.uk/~stevew