Joel Kovel says, "Stop me before I cure again!"

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Tue Nov 28 08:29:43 MST 1995

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Matt D. wrote:

> Louis Proyect  wrote:
> I have a copy of "Age of Desire" on my bookshelf, but haven't yet got
> around to reading it.  Perhaps Louis could enlighten us further as to
> its theses.

Louis: I couldn't understand a word of "Age of Desire". It was filled
with dense thickets of second-rate imitations of neo-Frankfurtian prose.
Joel doesn't do this act anymore. He writes simply, intelligently and
passionately about the threat capitalism poses to the planet. He works
with James O'Connor and other green/reds. He is also somebody I consulted
professionally about 14 years ago, shortly after having dropped out of the
SWP after 11 years. His diagnosis: advanced hypomania with Finkelstein
complications. His prescription: stay away from Trotskyites, get plenty
of fresh air, watch lots of Laurel and Hardy movies. Honest.