Peronism and fascism

Jon Beasley-Murray jpb8 at acpub.duke.edu
Wed Nov 29 14:01:50 MST 1995

Unfortuntately, recent events with life here in Durham have meant I
haven't been able to participate too much recently, and am not able to
access my books or too much else right now...

But Louis does accuse me of giving credibility to imperialist lies, and
them's fighting words, so I feel I should say something at least.

First, Peronism's clear difference from fascism might have been news to
Juan and Eva themselves.  Eva in particular was very impressed by
Mussolini (she visited Italy shortly before WWII as I recall), and
certainly Italian fascism was one significant model upon which Peronism drew.

Second, however, this is not necessarily to say that Peronism was a form
of fascism (I don't think it was), but to point up a certain resemblance,
and a contrast from which it's possible to highlight features of fascism
and populism both. Laclau argues that the difference is a class
difference--fascism is a populism of the dominant classes.

But in Peronism's long history it was a very mixed movement, and there
certainly were elements of fascism, and fascist ideology or social
programs, present, just as at other points it was articulated with
Cuban-style theories of guerrilla anti-capitalist revolution.

One problem in this exchange with Louis, by the way, is that I think we
may be slightly at historical cross-purposes, because it seems he knows
more about (and takes as representative) the Peronism of the 70s, while
for me the Peronism of the 40s and 50s is more interesting.

Oh, and while I understand complaints about Juan's style, I think
criticizing his grammar is out of line.  Y no estoy de acuerdo con
Lorenzo cuando dice el que una discusion en espannol seria una mala idea.

Saludos

Jon

Jon Beasley-Murray
Literature Program