fascism

jones/bhandari djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Nov 1 09:06:52 MST 1995

1. In *Backdoor to Eugenics* Troy Duster argues precisely that by "crying
wolf" about an explict race-based program of genocide, we will miss the
'backdoor' mechanisms (genetic screening for socially constructed diseases,
for example) by which it will be carried out.  Recently, I heard Duster
emphasize that the technologies and apparatus are in place to carry out
eugenics by the  the backdoor.

2.  It is people like James Q Wilson who are "yelling at the top of their
lungs" for bootcamps, sterilization of welfare mothers, the death penalty.
Why dismiss as paranoid radicals who are listening to  reactionaries who
have been able to foist themselves upon the public and garner influence?

3.  Welfare cuts in themselves are of course not genocidal.  It is the
whole complex of residential segregration, redlining, racist labor markets,
deindustrialization, automation, stagnation, etc. which is destroying the
life chances of people.  *To whom* does it cloud the issue to call this
complex of effects "genocidal in a fashion"?

4. I don't think  oppressed people think that they are being saved by cuts
in basic resources, however comforting such Orwellianisms may be for some.
Some oppressed peoples are indeed resigned to the fact that they cannot
rely on the state to provide basic real services, and others  find those
services intolerable because of the concomitant bureaucratic invasion.

5. I thank Andrew for the effusive praise of my provocative (no more,no
less) post; as I have argued elsewhere (the marxism internet conference)
that Andrew's work in value theory represents a decisive and brilliant
break with Ricardianism, he perhaps felt a bit obliged to me.  But I'll
take it where I can get it.

Rakesh Bhandari
Ph.D. Candidate
Ethnic Studies