P.S. - I love you, Gary MacLennan!

Matt D. afn02065 at afn.org
Wed Nov 1 10:22:04 MST 1995

Gary wrote:

>I have replied at some length to Jim and I will attemtp the same for you.  I
>stand by what I said and it seems to have angered you
>both.  In a way I am sorry about that but if you chill out yourself and
>think about it for a while I suspect that you will think I was not that
>wrong.
>
>I do apoligise for not writing to your personally, but your efforts werre
>public and now this is private.

Actually, Mr. MacLennan, this is public.  You've posted it to the list.

>I really do not want to go into this in any detail because it is simply
>too much for me most of the time.  but your remarks did trigger me off
>and  your reply was hardly better.

So you've decided *not* to "reply at some length"?

>Jim's post reveals a great ignorance of mental illness and your's is
>about the same level.

Ah, quite insightful.  As with your original post, I am amazed at your
ability to draw such strong conclusions from such weak evidence.
Truly a gift!

>All I am asking is that the Left should begin to
>seriously consider the rights of the most despised section of our
>society

OK.  We agree!  Though why do you say "begin" -- perhaps *you*
are the one who's just started to think about the disabled?  Maybe
the rest of us got to the game a little earlier?

>and your clowning and joking and Jim's ignorance merely serve
>to make my point.

Your point, Gary, is completely uncontroversial.  The problem is your
bullshit self-righteousness.  What the disabled need is, in the short
term, the same respect we all deserve as human beings .. and in the
long term, the same human liberation for which those of us on this
list are presumably striving.

Holier-than-thou (self)-flagellation and saccharine pity dressed up
as sensitivity, however, are not helpful to anyone.

(Also, if you're feeling a surfeit of compassion, why not dribble a little
in the direction of women who are murdered by their husbands?)

In the future, *comrade*, instead of acting like a whiny crybaby,
why don't you ask for clarification if you have a question about my
position on something, rather than assume we're on different sides.

-- Matt "Watch out for that bookshelf, Helene!" D.