Value (to John Ernst 4/4)

John R. Ernst ernst at pipeline.com
Sat Nov 11 18:05:30 MST 1995

Juan,

Man, what shook your cage?   Chill out a bit.  Note
that in the section from one of my posts that you
quote, I stated "typically if we assume ..." and go
on to state that what I though I had done is briefly
summarize the neo-Ricardian manner of dealing with
value.  You impute the summary to me.  I find this
odd since I don't agree with it either.

I do think that your criticisms of neo-Ricardian view do
not amount to much.   If you want to talk of value, you
claim you cannot be in labor hours per se.  OK.  Put
the darn thing in terms of money and deal with it.

It seems to me that you pick up on relatively simply matters
and blow them up into a big thing.  But it is not clear what
that big thing is as no one ever knows what the consequences
of your insights are?   That is, by using labor hours in the manner
I sketched,  have neo-Ricardians done away with "the economic law
of motion of modern society"?   To this question, I would
answer, 'Yes!"  Perhaps, you would as well.  But I fail to see
how changing the units of the example makes your answer --
"Yes!"  To convince anyone you are right you've got develop
your argrument beyond debates about definitions.

Like others, I ask that you be a bit clearer than the level
of clarity you reach in the following:

" So, as everybody can see, John will find me always
willing to jump forward from the most abstract forms
of our general social relation, capital, to its most
concrete ones that can be relevant for my conscious
action, always by following in thought the unfolding
of their real necessity. But, is he really willing to
jump with me? In that case, there is a jump he must give
first: he must jump from the abstractions he has produced
by isolating the real concrete social forms from their
determinations, to the analysis of the real abstract
social forms. "

Here, you sound a bit like Professor Erwin Corey who used
to give lectures I attended years ago in Chicago. If you
produce material like the above relatively quickly,
there may be a place for discussions at the level of
discourse you seem to enjoy. (I think Corey retired.)

Cheers,

John

--
John R. Ernst