Fascism (Rose and Proyect)

Marcus Strom MSTROM at nswtf.org.au
Wed Nov 15 12:24:46 MST 1995

A bit more on this debate:

> Date:          Fri, 10 Nov 95 10:06:25 GMT
> From:          Adam Rose <adam at pmel.com>

> Subject:       Re: Fascism (Rose and Proyect)

> > The most recent and vivid example of this in the recent past is the
> > fascist mullah regime in Iran.
>
> Rubbish. Fundamentalists aren't Fascists. Calling them fascists means you
> end up siding with regime against them ( more recently, large sections
> of the left did exactly this in Algeria ) , which strengthens the
> Fundamentalists and the real fascists, rather than weakens them.

Adam. I think you should look into the nature of the Iranian
revolution before making blanket 'rubbish' statements. According to
the criteria you have been laying down, the Iranian regime is
fascist. I has led to the smashing of unions, left parties, the
shoras (workers councils of the 1979 - 81 period). This isn't just my
analysis. read a journal called "Democracy in Iran" (i think - I'll
check at home tonight) which is published in the UK. It describes the
Iranian regime as fascist. Yes, it is also based on islamic
fundamentalism. But it has managed to balance the religious doctrines
(against usury and the like: officially there is no interest in Iran,
just a fluctating service fee of around 10%) with the realities of
running a capitalist class society.

One of Louis' questions is along the lines of 'can fascism only
develop in developed nations?'. I'm not sure - but I do think that
the Pinochet regime was fascist and I think that the Khomeini regime
was and is fascist. Dual power was developing in Iran in 1979-81; the
shoras were the workers councils of the Iranian revolution. The
negative resolution of them not taking power (a question of
revolutionary leadership of the movement) meant the victory of
fascism. I am not saying that islamic fundamentalism = fascism; I am
saying that the Khomeini regime was and is fascist.

Adam, think and research before dimissing something you don't know
everything about.

I was interested in the post from Magnus Bernhardsen on the Nazi
regime in Norway. How do people respond to the fact that there were
unions in Norway in this period? (And wonderful entrism as a
shibboleth for so many a trotskyist sect....)

Marcus