Value (for Juan, again)

John R. Ernst ernst at pipeline.com
Wed Nov 15 18:52:12 MST 1995

Dear Juan,

I have reproduced your prose below.  With all the huffing and
and puffing,  you seem to be trying to deal with two issues:

1.  price changes due to productivity increases.

2. " moral depreciation."

1.  In Chapter XII of Book I of CAPITAL,  Marx introduces the
     idea of technical change and the production of realtive
     surplus value with an example.  He suggests that the
     capitalist who introduces a new technique will generally
     reduce his price a bit once production takes place with
     the new technique.  We, the readers, are given no reason
     as to why the capitalist does this.  Note that at this point
     the capitalist with the new technique is selling at a price
     such that the individual value is less than the social value.
     Marx then suggests that the process of  competition will
     eventually drop the price such that the individual value
     will be equal to the social value.

     I am saying that we, who take Marx seriously, cannot
     simply assert that prices will drop due to increases in
     productivity.  We have to show the how's and why's of those
     price decreases.  In other words, we have to complete the
     task of showing how the "law of value" operates.  To simply
     assert that it does is to assume that which must be shown.
     In your post,  you refer to the task of "having to show"
     as "just another abstraction."  I fail to understand
     how you get to this.  You seem willing to say that
     there is an inverse relation between values and
     productivity.  I agree.   I am saying that adherents to Marx
     have to show how that notion brings about not only falls
     in prices, but also the crisis itself.  If we say  that
     prices will fall because of competition, we allow those
     who claim that Marx's ideas are only valid for a competitive
     capitalism and that, with the  appearance of more and more
     monopolies, Marx's ideas no longer hold.

     Of course, you are correct in stating that my  original example
     had nothing to do with differential ground rent.  But I am
     glad you brought up the idea.  What makes technical change
     different in those industries where it is involved?  Should the
     capitalist be lucky enough to own that portion of the means
     of production which appears to earning the rent, he would
     seem to earning an abnormally high rate of profit.  If he
     introduces a new technique, the rate would be higher still.
     Why?  Because the level of demand for his commodity keeps
     the price high enough.  (Here I am following Marx's assumption
     in Part VI of Book III of CAPITAL that capitals on land which
     earns rent are of a lower compostion of capital than the
     average.)  When we speak of price decreases due to increasing
     productivity, we have to talk of demand. But, note, the demand
     for commodities produced in one period is generated by the
     accumulation of capital itself.

2. "Moral depreciation."   When capitalists or their accountants
     say that a given piece of fixed capital can be used for some
     period of time as capital, they are, indeed, guessing based on
     experience how long the fixed capital can be used profitably
     by them in the process of production. For Marx, to fully develop
     this concept he would have had to work out the relation between
     the turnover of fixed capital and the periodicity of crisis.  He did
     not do this but stated rather explicity that the turnover of fixed
     capital would form the material basis for that periodicity. (See
     BK II, CAPITAL, p185, Int. Ed.)  Must accountants see falling
     prices to take into account "moral depreciation"?  For me,
     that's not a simple question.  I'm still working at it, but, right
     now, I would say they do not.

In orthodoxy,

John

P.S.  I am not sure your rather graphic language helps your
argument.  I think not. Here, the point is not to win or lose
but to discuss the problems and gain clarity.