Engels

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Tue Nov 21 19:39:02 MST 1995

    I'm not sure my first message on Engels got through, so here goes
again.

    Forgetting his technical relationship of interpreter, defender, etc
to Marx, Engels was a great revolutionary, a great thinker, and a great
human being.

    Almost since Engels's death, the easiest way to look profound has
been to sneer at Engels. It's a cheap game.

    Incidentally, I know of few friendships in intellectual history
(perhaps Pope and Swift) which were so free of envy, so devoted to
a common cause, as was that of Engels and Marx. And since Marx himself
contributed an important chapter in Anti-Duhring, to split them is
to suggest that Marx himself was something of a dupe.

        Carrol Cox
        Dept. of English
        Illinois State Univ.
        Normal, IL.