Errata on Althusser quote

David McInerney davidmci at coombs.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 23 18:06:14 MST 1995

In my previous post:

>P.S.  This is what Althusser had to say about his structuralist followers
>in 'Elements of Self-Criticism', taking responsibility for this
>"theoreticist deviation" himself:

<snip>
>It was no doubt on this occassion that the accidental by-product of my
>theoreticist tendency, the young put called structuralism, slipped between
>by legs ...' (_Essays in Self-Criticism_, NLB, 1976, pp. 124-125)

This should, of course, read "young pup" - I don't know what a "young put"
could possibly be - a golfing error perhaps?

On the reduction of philosophy to science, could it possibly be that much
of what we see now as "devastating critiques" of Marxism possibly a product
of the inverse reduction, that of science to philosophy?

David.

Mr. David McInerney,
Political Science Program, Research School of Social Sciences,
The Australian National University, Canberra, A.C.T., AUSTRALIA  0200.
e-mail: davidmci at coombs.anu.edu.au; ph: (06) 249 2134; fax: (06) 249 3051