Engels

UticaRose at aol.com UticaRose at aol.com
Fri Nov 24 18:57:23 MST 1995

In a message dated 95-11-22 04:03:59 EST, you (Leon Smith) wrote:

>> In a message dated 95-11-21 03:57:05 EST, you write:
>>
>> >BTW, how can anyone think that Gramsci was a Stalinist. ? Quite Bizarre,
>> >if you ask me.
>>
>> he was, after all, a member of the PCI when it was stalinist.
>>

>And I was a member of the Labour Party when Kinnock was leader, that fact
>says
>nothing about my politics, just as the above says little about Gramsci's.
>
>L.

Didn't Gramsci support the 21 conditions for admission to the Comintern ?
Didnt Gramsci support the "democratic" centralism of the Bolshevik party
which he saw close up in the mid-20s which was, at least and most charitably,
the seed bed of stalinism ? Does it soften it to describe him as an early
stalinist, a pre-mature stalinist or a proto-stalinist ? unlike luxemburg,
gramsci did not wage a battle against the Bolsheviks on the issue of party
democracy, unless i am missing something. i understand that Gramsci is one of
the last remaining sainted marxists but i find it hard to ignore his bona
fides as a stalinist in good standing until his untimely demise.