100 Years of (Mis)Understanding

ROSSERJB at vax1.acs.jmu.edu ROSSERJB at vax1.acs.jmu.edu
Sat Nov 25 23:31:54 MST 1995

To Jim J.
     And would Finland have been better off if that
revolution had succeeded?   The evidence strongly
suggests not.  Finland is well off, but not quite as
well off as its neighbor, Sweden, whose relationship
with the former USSR was hardly as close as that of
Finland's.  Both of their systems are, of course, currently
under attack by hard line world capitalism.
     I'll save the next round of my naughty anti-Leninism
for a response to somebody else.  But let me note that
such social democracies need strong worker movements to
support them.  And workers are much better off in either of
those states than any Leninist state, former or otherwise.
     You've got a long way to go to prove your case, Jim.
Finland got out in 1917 and has never regretted it.
Barkley Rosser