The 18th Brumaire: a modest and belated contribution to the fascism seminar

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Sun Nov 26 00:43:43 MST 1995

I am hopelessly behind with my work and this seminar too, but I have
wanted to post something thanking Louis for getting me to read the 18th.
Now I have been thinking over an earlier post from comrade Proyect when
he compared the bourgeoisie with the working class in terms of
leadership.  From memory I think he said that the bourgeoisie had
hundreds of years to become a ruling class and that this option was not
open to the working class.  That is of course basically correct, but I
think there is a sense in which the bourgeoisie is not a "natural" ruling
class either.

I believe Adam Smith thought that they would not make good disinterested
rulers and recommended that the aristocracy continue to run the country
as indeed the did in England for a very long time (still?)  All this cna
be linked to the fascism seminar if we think of fascism as a crisis for
the bourgeoisie when they fail to achieve hegemony as a ruling class and
have to share power  with another class.

To begin with it is surely questionable whether the normal working of the
market, with its twin imperatives of greed and fear, is such that it
provides a springboard for the capitalists to come forward as the
"natural" ruling class.  Moreover economic crises, which as Louis reminds
us are part of the normalcy of cpaitalism, also serve to undermine
further the hegemony of the capitalists and if the crisis is great enough
they seek alternatives to hide behind.

The nature of these alternatives in the case of fascism do deserve some
comment.  The enormity of the crime of giving state power to the gang
around Adolf hitler has never really been brought out.  Everything that
Marx has to say about Bonaparte's supporters in the Society of December
10 applies withequal force to the Nazis.

What of the comparisons between Bonaparte and Hitler?  Marx's book harps
wonderfully on the motif of history being repeated as farce, and this has
uncanny echoes inthe Nazi literature.  Compare

Only when...he himself takes his imperial role seriously and under the
Napoleonic mask imagines he is the real Napoleon, does he become the
victim of his own conception of the world, the serious buffoon who no
longer takes world history for a comedy but his comedy for world history.
(Marx)

and

We must be as Frederick the Great was and act as he did.  The Fuhrer
agrees with me entirely when I say to him that it should be our ambition
to ensure that, should a similar great crisis arise in Germany, say 150
years' time, our grandchildren may look back on us a heroic example of
steadfastness...In these matters the Fuhrer too is a stoic and a complete
disciple of Frederick the Great, whom  consciously and unconsciously, he
emulates. (Goebbels, 27.2.45)

Regards

Gary