Caring and freedom are oxymorons

Chris, London 100423.2040 at compuserve.com
Mon Nov 27 01:48:13 MST 1995

Hi Frank,

I was very pleased to see you had come back. I was afraid in all
the bustle we had lost you. IMO contributions such as yours
greatly add to the range and the strength of this list.
Everyone is democratically equal in front of the electron. We have
a span of age and experience stretcing across at least 50 and perhaps
60 years, and 26 countries.

You are at the cutting edge of the new world. Especially your experience
of what your friends think is valuable. If we cannot convince people
under the age of 20 of the relevance of marxism, we have lost. If we
can convince them, in terms of their own lives, we have won!

And thanks for the stimulation with the dictionary (it seems we need
italian, german and greek dictionaries too). So an oxymoron is a sharp-dull,
a vivid contrast and apparent contradiction to make a point. (Like I think of
myself as a religious atheist).

OK point taken. Caring and freedom are two sides of the same coin. We are all
wonderfully and painfully interdependent.

I am also picking up your post because I was struck by Marc's signature line
"I wan't to be free". In fact I can think of very very few references to
freedom in marxism. Perhaps your friends have a point. I am not sure marxism
is about freedom.

In fact I can only think at the moment of Engels' remark that "Freedom is the
recognition of necessity."  Yes, I think you have hit on an important point,
because this too is an oxymoron.

Any further comments back to Frank, oxy or moronic?

Chris, London

[oxygen, people may remember, was so named because of its highly
corrosive and acidic properties. Moron, the etymological part of my
dictionary says, means "dull"]