Caring and freedom are oxymorons

Chegitz Guevara mluziett at shrike.depaul.edu
Mon Nov 27 12:07:26 MST 1995

On 27 Nov 1995, Chris, London wrote:

> "I wan't to be free". In fact I can think of very very few references to
> freedom in marxism. Perhaps your friends have a point. I am not sure marxism
> is about freedom.

WHAT?!?!?!? Freedom is implicit in Marxism! The Manifesto talks about the
struggle to extend democracy to every sphere of life. In "The German
Ideology" M & E write about being a fisherman in the morning, hunter in
the afternoon, and philosopher in the evening. Freedom is what Marxism is
alll about. Not the crude negative kind of freedom of the bourgeois,
freedom from others, but positive freedom. That is to say, the freedom to
develop myself as far as is humanly possible, to explore the limits of the
human experience, freedom to be human instead of a grubbing animal.

> In fact I can only think at the moment of Engels' remark that "Freedom is the
> recognition of necessity."  Yes, I think you have hit on an important point,
> because this too is an oxymoron.

"Freedom is the recognition of necessity" means that once the struggle for
survival is transcended, we are free to explore what it means to be human.

> Chris, London
>
> [oxygen, people may remember, was so named because of its highly
> corrosive and acidic properties. Moron, the etymological part of my
> dictionary says, means "dull"]

Wow, learn something new everyday.:)_

On to Frank.

> From: dnedre <dnedre at netshop.net>
> Date: Sun, 26 Nov 95 23:00 PST
> Subject: Careing and lack of freedom are oximorons!
>
>         I am finding in my quest to indocranate people, That most people
> belive at the root of Marxism is the lack of freedom. This makes no sence,
> even resonably intelligent people should be able to relise it is the other
> way. Since when did Capitalism have any links to freedom exept for freedom
> for the rich....?
>
>         Frank

Well, Frank, part of the problem is thqat they are already indoctrinated.
Marxism is equated with Joe Stalin, Pol Pot, Nicolai Caucescu [sp?], and
Tieniman Square. We have 60 years of bad publicity to undo.

One of the things that you can point out is to point out what freedom
means in our society. It means the freedom to pour filth into our
enviroment, to move people's livelihoods to where ever can obtain the
highest profit, and all sorts of other harmful things. On the other hand,
you can point to the acheivements of the Paris Commune, which, while not
a Marxist revolution, did have Marxist participant: the abolision of
night labor, museums were opened to everyone, night schools were opened
for the workers in all different subjects. To be sure, women weren't
allowed to vote, and there were many other problems, but that was the
very first attempt at workers'power. During the Bolshevik Revolution,
marrage and divorce laws were liberalized, homosexuality was legalized,
art flourished, etc., etc.

Good luck.

Marc, "the Chegitz," Luzietti
http://shrike.depaul.edu/~mluziett

I'm not anti-society, society's anti-me
I'm not anti-religion, religion's anti-me
I'm not anti-tradition, tradition's anti-me
I'm not anti-anything, I just want to be free.

Mike Muir of Suicidal Tendencies