Unabomber is like, not cool and stuff

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Sat Oct 7 12:05:56 MDT 1995

On Sat, 7 Oct 1995, Patrick Patterson wrote:

> I did not say that technology was bad, only that we need to understand the
> way in which the specific form that it assumes plays a role in maintaining
> relations of domination which is precisely the point that Rekesh made.
> I can think of many examples but the one that comes to mind is the
> discussion of the use of computer technology by Shoshana Zuboff in her book
> In the Age of the Smart Machine. There she point to an ambivolence to
> technology, that it can go down two different paths; one which increases
> the level of democracy within the labor process and another which puts it
> at the service of maintaining hierarchy  and control.

Louis: This seems wrong to me. The only explanation for "relations of
domination" is class oppression. The Haitian ruling class lords it over a
nation of agricultural workers; the American bourgeoisie has its wage
slaves chained to computer keyboards or high-tech assembly lines. A
hoe or a personal computer or a robotics-based welding machine don't figure
into the "relations of domination"; private ownership of the means of
production does.