Longshore dispute support

Chris Bailey chrisbailey at gn.apc.org
Wed Oct 11 12:45:26 MDT 1995

I am happy to see Scott Marshall publicising the Merseyside Dockers'
dispute on the Marxism list. It certainly needs maximum international
support. However, I do feel I have to point out a tiny omission he has
made from the original message. The message he put on the list was
originally on union-d, the European labour list, and Labor-L, the
Canadian based international labour list. It was then put into
LaborNet by myself as facilitator for labr.uk. I think this is
probably where Scott got it from. In every case the message included
the email address of Greg Coyne, the author of the appeal, at the end.
Greg is a TUC lecturer in the Merseyside area. He is the main
instigator and organiser of union-d and is in close contact with the
trade union organisations of the Merseyside dockers.

Having once been a long serving member of a sect myself I am very
familiar with the technique of channelling broad support for a genuine
labour dispute via your own narrow grouping. I do hope this is not
what Scott intended, but would point out that his omission would have
the effect of directing support via himself and Rednet.

Greg Coyne's email address is gcoyne at cix.compulink.co.uk

Chris Bailey