MIM and the proletariat

Maoist Internationalist Movement mim3 at nyxfer.blythe.org
Wed Oct 11 21:48:47 MDT 1995

On Wed, 11 Oct 1995, Chegitz Guevara wrote:

> I would strongly suggest that MIM go back and read Fred Engels pamphlet,
> "Principles of Communism." Then they would learn what does and doesn't
> constitute a proletarian.
>
> "What is the proletariat?"
>
> "The proletariat is that class in society which lives entirely from the
> sale of its labor and does not draw profit from any kind of capital;
> whose weal and woe, whose life and death, whose sole existence depends on
> the demand for labor -- hence, on the changing state of business, on the
> vagaries of unbridled competition.  The proletariat, or the class of
> proletarians, is, in a word, the working class of the 19th century."
>
> Marc, "the Chegitz," Luzietti

Pat for MIM replies: Nice quote, for it again demonstrates that
working class is not synonymous with "proletariat" except in certain
contexts. To find "the working class of the 19th century" of Europe
and its brutal Industrial Revolution conditions, look no further
than the Third World today.

Some will mistake the above quote as referring to today's imperialist
working classes, but a little examination of how the statistics
have changed since that time will clear up that problem. If
Marc disagrees he should handle what I just said about Bottomore's
definition of productive labor and his evaluation of what it was in
Marx's day.

Thank you for not cutting off that phrase at the end of the quote.