Left Racism vs MILLION Man MARCH

jones/bhandari djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 18 02:07:18 MDT 1995

>From Mr. Jorge Diaz:

>Surprisingly, the criticism offered by the Left is of the same racist nature,
>and of the >same misinoformed intellectual poverty as the "bourgeoisie" media.

I don't know if I could kick your ass.  Lucky for one of us, I don't think
(hope) you'll have the opportunity to find out.

If you are calling me a racist, why don't you respond to one of my posts,
instead?  Farrakhan is the instrument of the right-wing  agenda within the
Black community.  Farrakhan is a force for anti-black racism,
anti-feminism, and ethnic scapegoating.  This march was a fantasy come true
for the Gilders, the Wills and even the Murray and Herrnsteins who rule in
Babylon.

Many of the men who attended the march were skeptical of Farrakhan, that we
all know.     For example, I heard people say they risked the boss' wrath
because they wanted to put politics before slavery.  What a disappointment
to have been told to confess for sins and moral degeneracy on the steps of
Congress! Jorge, this doesn't me you sick? And you call us critics racists?

But you tell me how this male-exclusive march for atonement will help to
develop revolutionary consciousness and organization, instead of legitimize
the reactionary thug who rules the Nation of Islam.

As for accusing me of intellectual impoverishment, I would appreciate a
comment on my posts on this topic.

In another post, you pointed out how few women are on the marxism list, as
to suggest that it was therefore hypocritical for marxists to criticize
Farrakhan for his sexism.  But let me put it this way to you.  Marx did not
wish the wheel to be turned back that brought women and children into the
labor-force, no matter how abominable their exploitation.  He argued
dialectically that this would make possible the reconstitution of family
relations on a higher and more equal basis.

Similarly in the early 70s communists such as Angela Davis emphasized that
slavery had brought Black women and men together in their exploitation,
that it facililated their collective struggle as comrades.  Of the Black
women I know, it has always been a point of pride that they were no Miss
Annes--as a representation, see Nzoka Shange's play "Spell no 7" from the
early seventies, in which she wrote a  satire  of the suburban housewife.

It is of course sad that Shange has now come out in support of the March,
but I am not surprised as the last time I heard her she was already playing
to the prejudices of her bourgie "people of color"  college crowd with
poetry resplendent with spectacular accounts of underclass pathology.  But
Angela Davis has maintained the insight from Marxism, that revolution means
the reconstitution of all social relations on a higher level.  There can be
no revolution without an uprooting of all oppressive social and familial
relations.  The Nation of Islam will prove to be a continuing obstacle, as
they were in the early 60s when they cooperated with the Klan to intimidate
the integrationists.

Rakesh Bhandari