Million Men March

jones/bhandari djones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 18 06:12:33 MDT 1995

We critics are not claiming that Farrakhan has tainted the march only
because of his external hate-mongering.  I agree that his power on the
national scene is limited.  Only if this were also true about his potential
influence among African-Americans.  He will attempt to win a sizable enough
constituency within the Black community to mobilize against women's access
to jobs, training or AFDC; for 'personal responsibility' and against
illegal or legal political movements against corporate power; against gays
and lesbians; against ethnic small businesses in defense of a narrow
petit-bourgeois class whose advancement will be equated with Black power
(while the mass of people endure ever greater suffering).

 He will talk shit and threaten action but will never carry out anything
destabilizing.

I repeat: the people most threatened by the NOI are African-Americans.

As for the Militias, you are the one in a contradiction.  You argued that
they were reactionary and should not be courted.  But now you want
tolerance of the NOI?! To my credit,  I have been consistent: down with the
NOI and the Militias alike.

Rakesh Bhandari