Enterprise zones/MMM

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Oct 22 10:20:47 MDT 1995

At 3:59 PM 10/21/95, cdavidson at igc.apc.org wrote:

>Like it or not, once you get to this point, you're discussing enterprise
>zones. The only questions remaining  are their features and character.

There is no evidence at all that enterprise zones create jobs. At best,
they simply shift their location from one neighborhood to another. There is
also no evidence that business in EZs hire locals; they tend to hire the
same people from outside the neighborhood that they would have without the
tax favoritism.

>With the information revolution, I think the net number of jobs is in decline.

Not in the US. The number of jobs continues to grow every month, and a
record share of the adult population is employed. The jobs may suck, but
this disappearance of work line has gone way too far.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood
Left Business Observer