Adam Rose on vanguards (fwd)

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Thu Oct 26 07:22:14 MDT 1995

On Wed, 25 Oct 1995, Adam Rose wrote:

> But your example over the MMM is rather good, it seems to me.
> You don't have any common politics, so you can't intervene as
> an organisation around the MMM.

Louis: Doesn't it occur to you that the term "intervene" speaks volumes
about a sectarian approach to politics? We used to use this term *all of
the time* in the American SWP. Trust me, when people operating in the
mass movement notice someone "intervening", it makes their skin crawl. We
need an entirely new approach to politics. All the "democratic-centralist"
norms you are used to: newspapers with a party line, recruitment and
indoctrination, "intervention", discipline, etc. have nothing in common
with what Lenin did. They are guaranteed to keep you in a sect framework.
Of course, some people are more comfortable that way.