economic decline/help

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Oct 28 10:23:26 MDT 1995

At 1:01 AM 10/29/95, Joseph Halevi wrote:

>Retiring stagnation?
>
>Please read Sylos-Labini's Oligopoly and Technical Progress where
>stagnation is shown to be fully compatible with a dynamic system.
>Published by Harvard UP in 1969 and reprinte by Kelly, Chicago, 1994.
>Read also same author "The Forces of Economic Growth and Decline",
>MIT Press, 1984.

Here's what my American Heritage dictionary tells me, courtesy of Microsoft
Bookshelf.

stagnant (stag=B4nent) adjective
1.      Not moving or flowing; motionless.
2.      Foul or stale from standing: stagnant ponds.
3.      a. Showing little or no sign of activity or advancement; not
developing or progressing; inactive: a stagnant economy. b. Lacking
vitality or briskness; sluggish or dull: a stagnant mind.
[Latin stagnans, stagnant-, present participle of stagnare, to be stagnant.
See STAGNATE.]

The reference to STAGNATE contains the etymological info that the word
originates in the Latin word for "swamp."

I'm sure Sylos-Labini's proof that stagnation is compatible with dynamism
is very clever, but don't words mean anything?

I see an intensification of competition, not monopoly; an acceleration of
technical change, not its retardation by monopolists; and ceaseless
transformation of all social relations in virtually every corner of the
world. If this is stagnant, then I'm RuPaul.

Doug

--

Doug Henwood
Left Business Observer