Biodiversity

Chris M. Sciabarra sciabrrc at is2.nyu.edu
Thu Oct 12 12:56:35 MDT 1995

Steve Keen asked me in a post weeks back, about the market response to
the biodiversity problem.  I'm not an expert in this area, but I know of
a few references which some might check out:

Stephen R. Edwards, "Conserving Biodiversity:  Resources for Our Future,"
TRUE STATE OF THE PLANET, ed., Ronald Bailey.

Jan Narveson, "Resources and Environmental Policy," PHILSOPHIC EXCHANGE
1993-94, published by Center for Philosophic Exchange, SUNY at Brockport,
NY.

	Also, I was struck by a recent cover story on "Siberia" in TIME
magazine, showing that if we have legitimate worries about market
solutions to environmental problems, the non-market record with such
problems is far more devastating.  The destruction of biodiversity in
Siberia by Soviet authorities who created a vast toxic waste dump of
nuclear materials and sulfur deposits is well documented.  There's got to
be a better way.

					- Chris
Dr. Chris M. Sciabarra, Visiting Scholar, NYU Department of Politics
INTERNET:  sciabrrc at is2.nyu.edu