An End to Sectarianism

Maoist Internationalist Movement mim3 at nyxfer.blythe.org
Sun Oct 15 23:38:17 MDT 1995

This article of Proyect's makes three implicit assertions
that are simply not true: 1) Just because "Trotskyist and
Maoist" groups are small in Europe and the United States,
Maoism is small, sectarian and uninfluential elsewhere.
2) Organizations with large numbers have a proven record of
greater historical impact than those with smaller.
3) The dissolution of "sects" or organizations to form
mushier organizations with a de-emphasis of lines
of demarcation is really something new with the fall of
the Soviet bloc.

Proyect's equation of Maoism and Trotskyism is Euro-centered.
Trotskyism never had any influence over real life revolutions
outside Russia. Maoism did. These and other assertions I
offer as things to keep in mind during study. They can't
be settled by reading one post.

While we are on the topic of sectarianism, I came across
the following of Trotsky as
explained and then quoted by his admirers
of Merit Publishers: "In the Russian Bulletin of the
Opposition (82-3), February-April, 1940, the following
long paragraph appeared in place of the opening two sentences
of the Sunday Express version: '...I consider the main source
of danger to the USSR in the present international situation
to be Stalin and the oligarchy headed by him. An open struggle
against them, in the view of world public opinion, is
inseparably connected for me with the defense of the USSR."
(Writings of Leon Trotsky: 1939-1940 (NY: Merit Publishers),
p. 124)

That's 1940 folks. There we have the thinking of Trotsky
who puts his political fight with Stalin above the
war against Hitler. In 1940 he is saying Stalin is a
greater danger than Hitler and he is calling for civil war
in the Soviet Union, while Hitler's troops are waiting
to pounce.

Now let's forget the leadership. Would anyone care to
explain why the Soviet masses should not want this Trotsky
character shot immediately? The price that the Soviet masses
were to pay for Trotsky's putting his views above the
interests of the Soviet masses was much more important
than the mere lives of either Stalin or Trotsky.

SWP and other Trotskyist claims to have "defended the USSR"
will come under closer examination later.

Pat for MIM