Million Men March

Gonzalez, Francisco GONZALEZ at blue.usa.com
Tue Oct 17 10:11:17 MDT 1995

To all:

The discussion so far regarding the MMM has focused on Farrakhan's anti-
semitism/homophobia/racism, and on the "conservative" political message
presented at the march.

While agreeing with the above, I find it surprising that people in this
list have not mentioned the fact that the march also indicates that the
African-American community is finally mobilizing in order to present
their agenda to the nation. If the expectations for increased political
involvement by Blacks are realized, this would provide a great
opportunity for the left to present a progressive program tailored to

the needs of this community. IMO Blacks wanting to get involved (due to
the message of this march) will be most receptive to the message from the
Left.

   Regarding Farrakhan, people who claim that he has somehow "tainted"
this march overlook the following: assuming that he means exactly what he
says (hate towards Whites and Jews, homophobia, etc.), does he has the
MEANS to CARRY OUT such an agenda? Black are only 13% of the US
population, ant the NOI is only a small fraction of that. Even if ALL
Blacks support him(an impossibility), the African-American community
lacks the numerical, economical or political strength to oppress anybody.
Besides, I remember many people in this list talking not too long ago
about reaching out to the White fascists and militias and thinking of
them as potential recruits for the left because these individuals too
were fed-up with the current system. What's wrong with applying the same
logic to the marchers, even to the NOI itself?

     We MUST seize to opportunity presented by this moment in time; while
not perfect, this march and its message open a whole new avenue for the
advancement of the causes of progress, equality and

justice.

Francisco J. Gonzalez

gonzalez at blue.usa.com