women/and the million marchers

amst015 at cantva.canterbury.ac.nz amst015 at cantva.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Oct 17 20:53:47 MDT 1995

This is in reply to Otto.

Firstly, maybe there are more women readers out there who don't post as
often as the men.  I know I read all the digests because I am interested
in the issues and concerns of Marxism, but because I don't feel like I
*know* as much as other people seem to, I guess I don't often state my views.

I'm really interested in Marxist critiques of conventional poststructural
theory, btw.  If anyone could post some useful references I'd be
grateful.  I have read the Syracuse type stuff, with Zavarzedeh and
Morton and the feminsts like Ebert and Henessey and find them extremely
useful in their analyses.

On the March of  Million.  To me, it seems ridiculous to mobilize one of
the most oppressed groups in American and ask them to make attonement for
the things they have failed to do regarding family, nation and
community.  Surely these failures are the failure of the Capitalist
system.  And doesn't such a viewpoint and image, that Black men have
committed all these heionous crimes simply back up the panic-ed view of
White America regarding the crime stats etc.

And as for making it a men only thing.  Who are the only group more
oppressed than Black men?  Black women?  Now, more so.  Rev. Farrakhan
continues to perpetrate the view that, like small children, women need to
be defended and cared for in the face of a disintergrating society.

If there are crises and moral panics, they are produced by material
conditions, not racial differences.  The million should have indeed
protested, not attoned.

Jane Gregg
[Dept of American Studies, University of Canterbury, New Zealand]