Left Racism vs MILLION Man MARCH

Robert Perrone perrone1 at igc.apc.org
Thu Oct 19 04:33:13 MDT 1995

Rakesh,
Regarding Davidson's remarks, I support his analysis of the focus of
the MMM.  I believe the event was objectively aimed at policies that
have and will continue to undermin the African American community,
policies supported by both political parties; and subjectively, the
event was an affirmation by the African American men who attended
that they will not tolerate attacks on their families, on Black
women, regardless of the source of those attacks.  I believe the
event trancended the personality of any of the so-called organizers
of the event.  In my post, I seconded Davidson's characterization of
Dumain's attacks as "racist."  To refer to the rank and file
participants of the event as "morons," etc. is racist.
Regarding Proyect's remarks, I believe my post seconded his prodding
remarks that Dumain get more involved in some mass movements.  My own
experiences confirm that the contradictions we confront in mass
movements can cause us to loose our bearings, if our understanding of those
is not thoroughly grounded in social practice.
I have no illusions about LF.  I too am affronted by the desire to
exclude women from the event, albeit a desire which was not realized,
since from what I have heard, many women did participate.  I am not
arguing that those who opposed the MMM are racist, only that Dumain's
characterizations are racist.  I do not believe that Black men need
to confess anything, nor do I recall seeing any reports of Black men
confessing anything at the event itself.
I do not have any specific thoughts on the role of African American
women in our society, only because I do not believe they have any
different role than men.  To delineate their role would be to give
the impression that I would restrict them to what I have delineated.
I hope these comments are viewed in the spirit in which I offer them.
My problem with Dumain is that he appears to be unable to distinguish
friends from enemies.
Robert
Stop the legal lynching of Mumia Abu-Jamal!