fascism and MMM; purity and ambivalence

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Fri Oct 20 08:13:27 MDT 1995

This was exactly on my mind at this very instant. I am putting together a
reading list for our cyberseminar on Fascism and I am going to propose
that the first book to be reported on is C. Van Woodward's "Tom Watson:
Agrarian Rebel". How does one essentialize American populism of the late
1800's? Reactionary, because of its xenophobia? Progressive, because of
its defense of small farmer's interests against Wall St.? Or is it a
combination of the two. Think about it.

Louis