Nationalism/Thuggery/Fascism

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Fri Oct 20 15:27:26 MDT 1995

Rakesh wrote:

> In a previous reply to Robert Perrone, I indicated several unhelpful and
> reactionary directions Black self-determination has and can take
> (everything from entrepreneurial set-aside programs to an independent Black
> Belt bantustan to support for mayors based solely on their color to calls
> for a separate legal system operating in the ghetto to schools with a
> special Afrocentric curriculum).  I don't think any of this should be
> supported.

I view black nationalism as an expression of an oppressed people's demand
for self-determination. As with any other social movement, there are deep
divisions as to ideology, perspective, and strategy. To support black
nationalism does not mean that you must support every position that the
leadership takes any more than since one supports trade unionism one must
support the position of all of the trade union "leaders."

Demands for black-owned business may be "unhelpful", but they are not always
reactionary.

I have *no* problem with "schools with a special Afrocentric curriculum."
I don't exactly think Afrocentrism is the best view of history, but if
African-Americans want to have some special schools where
African-American culture and history can be taught, I say: right on!

Jerry