Quebec Independence

CHRISTOPHER SCOGGINS 011510S at axe.acadiau.ca
Sat Oct 21 11:38:01 MDT 1995

Those who argue that the disbanding of Canada and the assimilation of
English Canada into a 51st state wouldn't necessary be such a bad
thing, after Quebec independence fail to realise that Canadians
presently possess social services that Americans can only dream about.
We have lower crime, tough handgun legislation, better trade union
rights, and a parliamentary system which allows low income people to
have at least some voice in the political process.

Quebec independence will obviously lead to American big business
viewing English Canada as weak and vulnerable.  Canadian progressives
should unite behind the NO campaign as a means of defending the
social services that were won by political struggle only a generation
ago.  We do not want to fall into a system which is controlled by the
wealthy and powerful in the USA.  Native rights in Canada are also
better defended by a strong, united Canada, where convening a
Constituent Assembly for a new deal could be a reality.

A Luta Continua,

Christopher Scoggins
Box 475, Wolfville,
Nova Scotia BOP 1XO

http://dragon.acadiau.ca/~004813m/Chris.html

"Every child has a right to go through their schooling
 years with dignity and with their self esteem in tact."