AFL-CIO elections

Scott Marshall Scott at rednet.org
Thu Oct 26 18:03:00 MDT 1995

**United and fighting -- new AFL-CIO leaders vow to
revitalize and organize -- AFL-CIO convention says 'no to
status quo'**

(Reprinted from the October 28, 1995 issue of the People's
Weekly World. Maybe reprinted or reposted with PWW credit.
For subscription information see below)

By Fred Gaboury

NEW YORK -- Delegates to the 21st Convention of the AFL-CIO
elected, on Oct. 25, a new leadership committed to
revitalizing the labor movement and confronting corporate
union busting, the export of jobs and the right-wing
"Contract on America."

The Imperial Ballroom of the New York Sheraton Hotel
reverberated with applause from the 2,000 delegates and
alternates, as speaker after speaker fired salvos at the
"Contract on America" and "corporate greed" during
discussion of several convention resolutions.

"These resolutions will not count for anything if we use
them to paper the walls," Ed Grystar, president of the
Central Labor Council of Beaver County, Pa., said. "We have
to convert them to action -- action in the streets or
anywhere else action is called for."

Owen A. Marron, executive secretary-treasurer of
California's Alameda County Central Labor Council, drew an
ovation when he called for the convention to march on Wall
Street in order to "show these guys we mean business. They
are our enemy," he thundered. He added that despite
differences on who should lead the AFL-CIO, "our enemy is
not in this hall."

John J. Sweeney was elected president of the AFL-CIO in the
first contested election in the federation's history. He
told delegates the "secret to protecting" the labor movement
lies in its "revitalization and in opening the AFL-CIO to
debate. When we do that, the solidarity and unity that are
at the core of our movement are tempered and trued and made
stronger," he said.

Liz Bettinger, president of the Schuykill County, Pa. AFL-
CIO was enthusiastic over Sweeney's promise of activism. She
greeted Sweeney's call for "blocking bridges" with sit-ins
in defense of the interests of working people, if that's
what it takes to win. "When we came here, we said we were
going to represent workers and that's what we are going to
do," she told the World.

Sweeney, president of the Service Employees International
Union, won election Wednesday afternoon when he defeated
Thomas Donahue in a hard-fought campaign. Donahue had served
as interim president since August 1 when he succeeded Lane
Kirkland whose forced retirement opened the door for the
challenge by Sweeney's "New Voice For American Workers"
slate.

Sweeney's running mates were also elected, both with more
than 55 percent of the vote. Richard Trumka, president of
the United Mine Workers of America, is the new AFL-CIO
secretary-treasurer. Linda Chavez-Thompson, a vice president
of State County and Municipal Workers, was elected AFL-CIO
executive vice president.

Chavez-Thompson told the convention she is ready to join in
sit-downs and sit-ins. "I like to get arrested," she said.
During the campaign she was arrested at a San Francisco
demonstration in support of hotel workers.

The victory for the Sweeney ticket capped a hard-fought
campaign in which the candidates crisscrossed the nation,
walking picket lines and joining mass protest actions. A
sign of the "New Voice" slate's potentcy was Donahue's "me-
too" embrace of much of the "New Voice" platform --
including Sweeney's call for a powerful drive to organize
unorganized workers.

There were two roll-call votes on constitutional amendments,
a brutal test of strength on the convention floor, both won
by Sweeney forces by a margin of two million per capita
votes. As late as Tuesday night, many delegates told the
World that although Sweeney had the votes to win, winning
was "not enough."

"Sweeney and his team campaigned on the promise of change --
and we need change," Blair Bertaccini told the World while
standing in line waiting to cast his ballot. "But we need
unity to effect that change -- and that's the question we
have to address now."

Bertaccini said agreement to Sweeney's proposal for an
increase in the number of vice presidents to 51 and then to
nominate a united slate was a "hopeful sign that unity would
prevail after the convention." The agreement, which
specifically called for setting aside 10 seats to guarantee
diversity, came after Sweeney and Donahue representatives
agreed to calm the rhetoric that the campaign had generated.

Douglas Dority, Food and Commercial Workers president, and a
leading representative of the Donahue camp, and Gerald
McEntee, president of the State and County Employee and
spokesperson for the Sweeney coalition, shared the
microphone to nominate the fusion slate. Both called for
unity as delegates returned home to fight the common enemy.

Convention debate was dominated by calls for change from
many of the more than 500 leaders of AFL-CIO central labor
councils attending the convention. Alan Hughes of the
Texarkana, Texas Trades and Labor Council told the World,
"It's easy to see why we are the ones out front in this.
We're closest to the rank and file and we are the ones that
are called upon to lead when it comes to dealing with their
problems."

Hughes said his trip was financed by donations from council
members who felt this was an important convention. "People
are demanding change everywhere you go," he continued,
adding that Arkansas and Texas are both right to work (for
less) states. "We need help from a national AFL-CIO that is
committed to organizing the unorganized in the south," he
said.

When asked to grade the convention on a scale of one to ten,
Chavez-Thompson asked, "Can't I go higher? If we ever needed
a united labor movement, we need it today," she told the
World.
##30##

***       *  Read the Peoples Weekly World  *     *********
   ****   *  Sub info: pww at igc.apc.org      *  ****    *
       ****  235 W. 23rd St. NYC 10011      ***      *   **
   ****   *  $20/yr - $1-2 mos trial sub    *  ****    *
Tired of the same old system: Join the Communist Party, USA
     Info: CPUSA at rednet.org or (212) 989-4994 or
          http://www.hartford-hwp.com/cp-usa