Adolph Reed on the MMMarch

Ivan Handler ihandler at igc.apc.org
Fri Oct 27 15:11:41 MDT 1995

I think this is another example of very foolish emotionalism.  Carl
presented a very clear set of reasons to question the meaningfulness
of class as it is being used in many recent discussions.  While it is
clear Jeff disagrees, he presents invective and then an example that
is obviously bogus.  Namely the labor movement being led by the
working class.  The working class leadership of the labor movement
has not been in any real leadership role since at least the end of
WWII.  The "leaders" of the US labor movement have been
petit-bourgeois at their best.  Many became millionaires by selling
out their union brothers and sisters.  If anything, the US labor
movement is the best example of the worthlessness of the relevance of
the classical concept of class to today's circumstances.  I agree
with Carl, lets drop this baggage so we can develop ways of
looking and analysing the world that are not so subjective and can
help in formulating a political movement that can effectively oppose
oppression wherever it is.

	-- Ivan