Marxism

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Sat Oct 28 09:50:14 MDT 1995

Stu, it's really very simple. I delete all of MIM's posts unread except
for the occasional one that I'd like to use as an excuse for a joke.
Please feel free to delete mine. You know the sort of thing I'm into at
this point, so I won't surprise you with an exegesis of ground rent, etc.

Here is what happened. A year or so ago, I was in your position. The list
was dominated by *lengthy* discussions of dialectics and the LTV in the
abstract. Then it was hijacked by political activists who seemed
insistent on applying Marxism to the real world, in obvious defiance of
Marx's original aim.

I can empathize with the Marxist professor of economics from Rattlesnake
State University in East Jesus, Nebraska. All he or she wants to do is
discuss Grundrisse and they have to wade through all this nonsense on the
Nation of Islam. Disgraceful.

Your problem, Stu, is that the sort of things that you and James like to
chew over is really of not much interest to political activists. It is
the sort of thing that keeps academic quarterlys in business.

Perhaps if you or some of the other poor, beleagured academics on the
list could write compellingly about some of the abstract issues you feel
so strongly about, there would be more participation from the proles on
the list.