Marxism

Stu Shafer sshafer at ix.netcom.com
Mon Oct 30 16:36:02 MST 1995

This is the last shot I'm gonna fire in this ridiculous interpersonal war
with Louis. I'm sorry I even mentioned his name in the first place, but
Louis is right about one thing, so it's time for me to do some
self-criticism. I have been more of a consumer than a producer in this
group. I admitted to being a lurker. Instead of jumping in as a "kibbitzer"
on other threads, I should initiate some of my own. The critic who only
criticizes without putting his/her own ideas forward for criticism is
justifiably looked upon with scorn. Newbies like myself who see this method
as a way to ease themselves into the conversation should beware the
impression it creates.

As for Louis's characterizations of what I have said, he certainly has an
interesting memory and/or database of what various people contribute; his
misunderstandings speak for themselves. As for his invitation for me to
reveal more about myself as a person, I decline for two reasons: 1)
credentials are not the criteria by which marxists should judge each others'
contributions to the current struggles; the failure of Louis's own
self-promoted resume to win debates is a case in point; 2) I see no point in
contributing free personal information to whatever pigs are monitoring this
list; let them do their own "research."

As for whether Louis Proyect likes me, I don't really care. I've pointed out
a couple of points where I thought he had some insight. He should, however,
read more carefully and thoroughly. A sabbatical sounds like just the thing.