Anti-car action in UK

Jj Plant jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Oct 31 15:12:00 MST 1995

Ben,

I don't often use the word "evil", and didn't in what I assume is the
short post you refer to.

I also rarely use the term"public transport" because I am not sure there
is such a thing. There are systems to transport the public, at least
parts of it - usually the workforce, usually in dreadful conditions.
These systems are not run *by* the public but imposed on it by the same
ruling class and bureaucracy that fills the streets with spy cameras,
fixes the health and education budgets etc. I know from your posts that
you don't need me to lecture you on these topics.

I think if people want to use bikes they should be able to. A bike is no
use to me. For recreational trips I need to take my dog, and want to take
equipment such as my cameras or telescope. For the trips I need my car
for, a bike just won't fit into the timetable constraints (I won't bore
you with the details unless you need evidence or examples).

I think that the anticar activists in London (I don't know about similar
actions elsewhere) misguidedly alienate people such as myself who need to
get about quickly if there is to be any time for any activity outside
work. I am a pretty marginal car owner, and I think I probably represent
a reasonable sample of my social layer. Any significant increase in the
cost of car ownership would put me out of that market. It wouldn't turn
me into a cyclist, it would drive me out of London. Already I don't visit
several shopping areas where they have put up parking charges and put in
obstructive traffic schemes. Sadly, these are shopping areas in working
class, Labour Party controlled districts, so my money gets spent by mail
order or at supermarkets with free parking, which are usually in Tory
controlled districts.

It seems to me that we have here an issue where some transitional demands
need to be formulated. Marxists should not swallow the anticar
campaigners line that riding a bike is a blow against capitalism. We can,
I think,  make a general case for an element of planned social provision
of transportation. We should, in my view, do this in the context of a
political strategy that attacks rather than supports the state
structures, demanding that work patterns and locations be replanned
democratically by directly elected and accountable bodies of workers and
consumers, and that the ruling class be compelled to meet the cost of it.
This is of course less than a skeleton of a policy. I would be willing to
contribute to a debate that aimed to develop a post/trotskyist approach
to these questions.

jplant at cix.compulink.co.uk