Marxism and the Militias

Bryan A. Alexander bnalexan at umich.edu
Sat Sep 2 16:19:57 MDT 1995

A second to Paul.  Furthermore, in part to annoy Habermasians, I insist
on the role of managerial/spectacular culture to leech the strength out
of class tensions.  The circuit: Hollywood-twopartysystem - mass media -
craven academic apologists: resonates with more brilliance every year,
esp since the fall of the USSR.  I've always seen my task as a lit crit
person to point out the contrasting shadows...
	By no means is such a spectacle complete in its efficacy.  It's
just powerful, and peculiarly effective during years of relatively little
class unrest.  I think Rakesh's point would be more valid in times of
sustained depression in this country.  Are the militias being groomed
(note my careful use of the agent-avoiding passive voice) for such a
role, should the economy gnaw on itself even worse in the next few
years?  Perhaps - in that capital might be investing in certain persons
and militias (Louis' study begs to be done, really).  But that ambiguity
returns me to my original point: the militia status is uncertain, and a
strategic opportunity for all and sundry.

Bryan Alexander
Department of English
University of Michigan