Antifascism, Militant/ Re: Challenge to Cockshott

wdrb at siva.bris.ac.uk wdrb at siva.bris.ac.uk
Thu Sep 7 17:39:26 MDT 1995

Jeff describes the big anti-poll tax riot in London
thus:

<<<<<       Militant Labour organized the march.  What were the numbers?  At
least 30,000 I think.  A handful of ultra left Anarchist Wankers (who
probably are all in Law school now) started a riot.  Oh boy.  Guess what?
That's just what the Bourgeois wanted.  From mass march, one of the
biggest in years, to riot, to Police riot.  Plenty of good pictures for
the tabloid press.  The marshalls protected thousands from the cops while
a few Anarchist types jumped fences and ran away.

Were you there Jeff? I was there all that day. Your
description of the march and riot bares little resemblance
to what I saw or what my friends did. I am not an anarchist
but to characterise the anarchist elements on the march
or in the UK as you do is shallow and wrong. My own
voew was that lots of people there new there had to be trouble
to acheice anything and that the scale of the rioting
brought down Thatcher. To say Militant organised the
march isn't really\ accurate, the anti poll tax
fed which milly was heavily involved in organised
the march.Milly were terribly discredited by
the reaction of their leadership to the rioting.
As i've said to you before, milly have contributed
a fair amount and have their strengths. But I do
think your description of this ver important day
in the history of the uk working class is
hopelessly wide of the mark.

will brown  england   bristol