Translating Marx

Lisa Rogers EQDOMAIN.EQWQ.LROGERS at email.state.ut.us
Fri Sep 8 17:29:37 MDT 1995

------------------- MARXTRAN follows --------------------
Marx, in Capital, vol III, p. 1021. Vintage:

"Although on the basis of capitalist production the social character of their
production confronts the mass of immediate producers in the form of a strict
governing authority, and the social mechanism of the labor process has
received here a completely hierarchical articulation--though this authority
accrues to its bearers only to as the personification of the conditions of labor
vis-a-vis labour itself, not to them as political or theocratic rulers as in earlier
forms of production--the most complete anarchy reigns among the bearers of
this authority, the capitalists themselves, who confront one another simply as
owners of commodities, and within this anarchy the social interconnection of
production prevails over individual caprice only as an overwhelming natural
law."

I'd like to take a shot at translating this, to see if I can, although the English
teacher in me [from my mother's side] would like to mark it up and give Karl a
chance to rewrite before he receives a final grade.

Translation:
"Although capitalist production appears in a monolithic, hierarchical, powerful
form, the various capitalists are not actually united with each other.  They just
look the same because each one has similar tendencies.  The "authority" of
capitalists is actually the result of the conditions of labor (i.e. they are
"owners", with all the legal support for their position, etc.)

Am I even close?
If you must comment, may I have it in a form that might help a sincere but
struggling student of Marx, rather than a form which condemns me for not
already knowing everything, and agreeing with every single one of you, before
I even joined the list, please?

Lisa Rogers