what Americans believe

Kenneth Mostern kmostern at utkvx.utk.edu
Sat Sep 9 22:01:54 MDT 1995

> Kenny, do you think many members of the Militia or the NOI are likely to
> express that identification with Black feminism which you have argued is
> the elixir of revolutionary consciousness?

Of course not.  As the middle class these days tends to be feminist (in
the liberal sense) and imperialist, the white working class tends to be
patriarchal, and the NOI obviously is.  So cross racial identification is
possible, under the right conditions.  Feminist identification, for
reasons that I'm actually trying to establish in the historical argument
in my dissertation (that's another post altogether), is at this point in
time much more problematic.  I suppose the question is whether
I believe revolution possible in my lifetime, and I certainly believe
that if the answer to this is yes (and I'm not willing to write this
off), it does depend on our assuming that a large percentage of the
present members of the militias and the NOI choose our side.  These are,
after all, a certain cross-section of the activists.

I should point out that the afrocentrics are all womanist, not in any
particularly sophisticated or adequate way perhaps, and yet in a way that
a substantial number of women appear to be affirmed by.  I think this a
good thing even if it does tend to reinforce the point I just
made--afrocentrism is middle class nationalism to the NOI's populism.

I don't object to your skepiticism, nor make any predictions.  I believe
that many members of the militia can be convinced of many things we would
like to convince them of; not all members, perhaps not all things.  I
also can't see what our options are.

Kenny