Maoism and the people

Valerie Scatamburlo valeries at YorkU.CA
Sun Sep 10 21:56:23 MDT 1995

Jerry wrote:

> Did the US help the most to keep Pol Pot in power? I'm not so sure about
> that. The Khymer Rouge received, especially in the early period, large
> amounts of material assistance, including military aid, from China. For
background on this topic, I
> recommend viewing "The Killing Fields."

Valerie:

For background on this I would recommend Noam Chomsky's "Necessary Illusions"
where he talks about the differences between the slaughters in East Timor and
the slaughters in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge both of which however were
supported by the U.S. and other "democracies".  Chomsky points out that the
usefuleness, so to speak of the Khmer Rouge slaughter was that it was carried
out by "an official enemy" at a time whem it was highly functional in
"helping to overcome the 'Vietnam syndrome' and to restore popular support
for U.S. intervention and violence in the Third World 'in defense against the
Pol Pots'".