Stalin and the Comintern

glevy at acnet.pratt.edu glevy at acnet.pratt.edu
Mon Sep 11 07:34:08 MDT 1995

Louis N Proyect wrote:

> > To what extent were the "21 point" conditions adopted by the Communist
> > International under the leadership of Zinoviev and Lenin influential in
> > changing the understanding of the CPs relationship to other tendencies on
> > the Left?
>
> I can't answer this question intelligently until you describe what the
> words "changing the understanding of the CPs relationship to other
> tendencies on the Left" means.
>

> > Related to the above, to what extent did Lenin's understanding of the
> > defeat of the Hungarian Soviet Republic of 1919 (and the Bavarian Soviet
> > Republic of 1918) influence his change in policy regarding the nature of
> > organizations affiliated with the Third International?
> >

> What was the "change in policy" you are referring to?

Louis: If you read the "21 point" conditions and Lenin's writings
(especially letters) from the _Collected Works_, you will understand what
I mean. A summary, as I can recall, is in the work by Helmut Gruber ed.
_International Communism under Lenin_.

I believe this does relate to our contemporary understanding of Leninist
party organization since it is part of the intellectual tradition of
Leninism and historically changed the Bolshevik's relation to other
organizations inside (and outside) of the Third International.

Jerry