Stalin and the Comintern

Louis N Proyect lnp3 at columbia.edu
Mon Sep 11 09:26:23 MDT 1995

On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Scott Marshall wrote:

> Not that it matters a bit, but Louis what was the Brest treaty argument all
> about? Lenin did let facts and experience influence his thinking (kind of
> basic ain't it) but you shouldn't use your wish for a 'better Lenin" more
> like Trotsky, cloud what really happened.

Louis:
I'll have a *lot* more to say about this in my next post, but basically
Trotsky was a sectarian and an inept politician. If I wanted to learn about
how to build a revolutionary party, I would study Lenin's writings or
Castro's example.

Trotsky was a great historian and political analyst. I continue to draw
upon ideas and methodology I have learned from him. This should have been
obvious in my post on WWII. The idea of starting a movement centered on
his writings has been a horrible mistake. It has led to the most bizarre
kinds of cult-formations. Just to give you a flavor of the sort of thing
that goes on in these outfits: I was a member of the SWP from 1967 to
1978. When I decided to resign, the local leadership persuaded me to
disappear without informing anybody of my resignation since it would
"demoralize the branch". I became an un-person. This was no accident. The
logic of Trotskyist sectarianism leads to behaviour just like this.