Maoism and the people

Maoist Internationalist Movement mim3 at nyxfer.blythe.org
Mon Sep 11 11:14:52 MDT 1995

On Sun, 10 Sep 1995 glevy at acnet.pratt.edu wrote:

> Jim Jaszewski wrote:
>
> > 	I'd sure like to know what was so `communist' about Pol Pot.
> >
> > 	I'm sure we all remember who helped the MOST to keep them in power
> > (and how many MORE died as a result of it) -- Uncle Sam...
>
> Did the US help the most to keep Pol Pot in power? I'm not so sure about
> that. The Khymer Rouge received, especially in the early period, large
> amounts of material assistance, including military aid, from China.

MIM replies: What you are talking about is aid from state capitalist
China. We too mourned the loss of laboring class life during the
Vietnam-China war.

> Furthermore, the Khymer Rouge owed a large amount of its ideological
> inspiration to Maoism. Of course, one could argue that Maoists under
> Pol Pot distorted Mao's position (during the Cultural Revolution) regarding
> the advantages of re-educating those citizens infected by bourgeois
> culture and pro-imperialist thinking. For background on this topic, I
> recommend viewing "The Killing Fields."

Hollywood is not a very good way to settle detailed questions. However,
if you want to blame us for "inspiring" killing fields, we will
agree to that as long as you credit us for "inspiring" all the anti-
colonial struggles that came after Mao led China to "stand up." We
would do this to encourage people to look at the objective implications
of a struggle.

Mao died in 1976. His supporters and the leaders of the Cultural
Revolution were overthrown in a coup that same year. Pol Pot then
explicitly denounced the Cultural Revolution as "counterrevolutionary."

Instead of Hollywood, the New Republic or CIA covering its tracks,
we recommend that people read what the protagonists actually said
and also keep the chronology in mind.

We had nothing against Khmer Rouge's knocking out the U.S. puppet
regime in 1975. If other "Marxists" had done it, we would have something
to talk about. However, as usual, it was the revolutionaries in the
legacy of Stalin and Mao who did the fighting. Soon after,
Pol Pot changed his line on the Cultural Revolution and gained
support from the number 2 target of the Cultural Revolution who
came back to power in China--Deng Xiaoping. As it
stands, the historical amnesia on
these questions leads to a whitewash of the U.S. imperialist war on
the peoples of Indochina.

mim3 for the Maoist Internationalist Movement (how 'bout Pat
as my name)