MIM

Kenneth Mostern kmostern at utkvx.utk.edu
Mon Sep 11 19:48:26 MDT 1995

On Mon, 11 Sep 1995, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'm normally a tolerant guy; I can even put up with Hayekians on a Marxism
> list. But, puh-leeeeze spare us the Maoist International Movement. Adopting
> monikers like MIM3 and JLQ14 to deepen their revolutionary aura, they will
> instruct us on how the white US working class is a privileged stratum
> deserving of nothing but falling wages, and other painfully juvenile
> opinions. Go away, MIM. Dissolve your organization. Read some books. Think.
> Just don't bug us, please! You are a disgrace to Marx - Mao even.

As someone who has defended a version of third worldism on this list, I
just wanted to say that I ran into a version of this horrifying line in a
hot tub at a Mendocino County bed and breakfast.  (And yes, that's what this
California marxist professional does with his once a year four day vacation--
at least back, two months ago, when I lived in California.)  I was stunned.
What do you
say to someone, claiming to be a radical and sitting in a hot tub in a
bourgeois setting, who says that American workers deserve less than they
have?  I said something like I thought there was quite enough capital in
the world for all the workers to get to sit in hot tubs and I didn't wish
anyone a lower standard of living, as a matter of fact.  In any other
setting I'm sure I'd have acted truly furious, but I was trying to relax.

Kenneth Mostern
Assistant P-funkster of English
University of Tennessee

George Clinton:  Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
Karl Marx, paraphrased:  Free your ass, and your mind will follow.

. . . toward a materialist dialectics of funk . . . peace . . .