Ralph on MIM

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Tue Sep 12 08:56:53 MDT 1995

Ralph:
------

this poster is a party not a person, and has plenty opportunity to
spew its line all over cyberspace.  I insist that MIM be expelled from
this list.

Chris B:
--------

While I find it hard to imagine that an organisation called the
Marxist International Movement has concrete contacts with ordinary people,
that is not exactly a precondition for joining this list.  I think MIM's
ideas might be interesting. At least, as Mao would say, we might be
inoculated by exposure to them, and they have the merit of widening the
debate beyond the present Eurocentric, or Judaeo-Christian orbit of this
list.

I don't object to anonymity. After all torture is practised in over
hundred countries in the world. However a more human pseudonym than
MIM3 might help and that has now been supplied.

Ralph is obviously in psychic pain about all this. Of course I think
he is now in touch with the deepest depths of his
intolerant Stalinist soul.

So, Ralph, to save you anguish, can I remind you of some of the
introductory remarks to this list, and invite you to consider acting
accordingly?

Ordinary respect and courtesy towards other list members is expected,
and flame wars are, of course, discouraged.  Recognizing, however, that
disputation is the norm in politics, threads will not be interrupted
simply because the tone grows heated, as it sometimes does.  Yet openness
and toleration of difference are to be valued above dogmatism (of
whatever stripe).  It is up to each of us to see to it that bad
temperedness or insensitivity does not become a problem.

MARXISM is brought to you by the Spoon Collective, a group of Net
citizens devoted to free and open discussion of philosophical issues on
the Internet.  Based on the Collective's philosophy, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT
POSTS CONTAINING LANGUAGE OR DEALING WITH SUBJECT MATTER THAT SOME MIGHT
FIND OFFENSIVE MAY APPEAR ON THE LIST FROM TIME TO TIME, AND SUCH POSTS
WILL NOT BE CENSORED. For that reason, if you are not interested in
receiving such posts, please do not subscribe.  If you are already
subscribed, please unsubscribe.