Antifascism, Militant/ Re: Challenge to Cockshott

Jeffrey Booth booth2 at husc.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 12 08:56:24 MDT 1995

On Sun, 10 Sep 1995, Paul Cockshott wrote:

> Jeff Booth writes
> -------------------
> How many ultra-lefts, Red Wankers or whatever have ever been in
> prison?
>
> Paul
> ----
> I take it that this is a jibe at Red Action and the WPS.
> Matt Lygate, the leading figure in the WPS, served 14 years
> in Scottish prisons as a result of his party activities.
> Patrick Hayes, a leading militant of Red Action is presently
> serving a long prison sentence as a result of his actions
> as an IRA volunteer.

	It was a jibe directed at the person(s) who celebrated rioting
and trashed Militant's leading the organizing of one of the greatest
demos. in British history.

> Significant numbers of other Red Action members have served
> time for anti-fascist activity. But the objective of political
> activity is not to get arrested. If you are arrested and
> imprisoned then it may be the result of necessary risks, but
> it may as likely indicate poor tactics and security.

	Can't argue with that.  I said soething similar in a recent post
you must have missed or mis-read.  Rioting was a poor tactic in the
anti-poll tax demo.

				-- Jeff Booth