Challenge to Cockshott

Jeffrey Booth booth2 at husc.harvard.edu
Tue Sep 12 08:51:56 MDT 1995

	So, I get into work this morning and my marxist list mail is
filled with attacks on Militant Labour from various anglo-Saxon
ultra-lefts.  What a suprise.  For the non-anglo-saxon left, just want to
let you know that Militant-bashing is a thriving cottage industry for the
bourgeois press and a myriad of little left groups at tea time.
	Now, I ask myself, do I respond to all this shit and risk getting
fired or missing out on some great organizing oppurtunities or do I let
it go.  How 'bout a compromise?  I'll respond today.  Tomorrow, you
all can have the last word and Militant Labour's name will be mud in
academic circles.  Oh, well.

On Sun, 10 Sep 1995, Paul Cockshott wrote:

> Paul
> ----
> On the origins of the anti-poll tax unions. The first was
> set up in Maryhill ( a district of Glasgow ) in April 1987
> at the initiative of Linda Garthland and Matt Lygate,
> both of whom were WPS activists. By January 1988 the Union
> had over 2000 paid up members in the Maryhill area.
>
> The I was involved in setting up the first union in the
> west of Scotland in Leith in the summer of 1987.
> By the end of 87 there was already a federation of local
> Anti-Poll Tax unions in the Edinburgh area.
> This is prior to the meetings at which Jeff claims that
> Militant planned the whole campaign.

	Read my post.  Didn't claim that.  When I showed up on the scene,
things were already going.  Future plans were being made.  Militant had
nothing to do with setting up the first anti-poll tax unions?  Let's get
that in writing!

> Tommy has an axe to grind. For an independent source
> look at Danny Burns book Poll Tax Rebellion.

	Tommy's axe is directed at big businees and it's state.  in the
book, he's quite charitable to the sectlets if that's what's bothering you.

				-- Jeff Booth